CITY OF LOS ANGELES
NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL CERTIFICATION APPLICATION
NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL NAME____________________________________________________________________
PLEASE READ THE ATTACHED "NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL CERTIFICATION APPLICATION GUIDELINES AND INSTRUCTIONS" AND REVIEW THE CONTENTS OF THE APPLICATION PACKAGE BEFORE COMPLETING THE MATERIALS. ANSWER THE QUESTIONS TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY. FOR MANY OF THE QUESTIONS, THERE IS NO SINGLE CORRECT RESPONSE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE ASSISTANCE OR IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT COMPLETING THE CERTIFICATION APPLICATION PACKAGE, CONTACT MICHAEL VITKIEVICZ IN THE DEPARTMENT OF NEIGHBORHOOD EMPOWERMENT AT (213) 485-1360.
THIS APPLICATION FOR CERTIFIED NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL STATUS IS BASED ON SECTION 2 OF ARTICLE 3 OF THE ADOPTED "PLAN FOR A CITYWIDE SYSTEM OF NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCILS" ("THE PLAN") AND LOS ANGELES CITY ORDINANCE NUMBER 174,006. IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT ALL NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL CERTIFICATION APPLICANTS REVIEW THESE DOCUMENTS BEFORE COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION. COPIES OF THESE DOCUMENTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF NEIGHBORHOOD EMPOWERMENT.
1. Describe or name the proposed boundaries of the Neighborhood Council. There are several ways to do this, depending on the physical shape of your Neighborhood Council and the distinguishing features or markers within it. You may use street names or geographical features in a traditional "north-south-east-west" sequence. Or you may choose to describe your Neighborhood Council boundaries by starting at the 12 oíclock position ("12:00" as shown by the hour markers on a clock dial) and then moving in a clockwise direction while describing the features which define your boundaries. Attach additional pages if necessary.
- OR -
12:00 = Main Street Market, 3:00 = Green Marble Statue of the Musician, 4:30 = Skyview East Apartments,
6:00 = Franklin Park, 8:00 = Universal Medical Center, 10:00 = Fire Station # 53, 11:30 = McDonaldís.
2. Attach a map of the Neighborhood Council to this application. Your
Department of Neighborhood Empowerment
3. Explain why these boundaries were chosen. For example, the boundaries
may be based on census tracts, on
4. Do the proposed boundaries overlap with any other Neighborhood Council boundaries?
5. If the answer to Question 4 is "Yes", list the Neighborhood Councils which are affected by the boundary overlap.
6. If the answer to Question 4 is "Yes", explain why you believe the
boundary overlap exists. What is the reason for
7. As required by City Ordinance, every application which describes overlapping
boundary areas must include a
8. Does the Neighborhood Council area contain at least 20,000 residents?
Yes__________ No__________ Unknown__________
9. If the answer to Question 8 is "No", mark the space or spaces below which apply:
10. If the population in the Neighborhood Council contains more than 20,000 residents, estimate the total:
20,000 to 50,000_____ Between 50,000 and 100,000_____ More than 100,000_____ Unknown______
11. Please describe your Neighborhood Council and explain why your
Neighborhood Council is applying for
Your response should include an Area Profile of the Neighborhood
Council. The Area Profile may include
Listed below are four examples of the types of information to include in your
Neighborhood Council Area Profile.
Describe the residential profile of the Neighborhood Council. Examples:
"Mostly single family homes", "Mostly apartments", "Mixture of single family and multiple family dwellings".
Describe the commercial or business profile within the Neighborhood Council. Examples:
"Mostly businesses with less than 10 employees" "Mostly businesses with around 100 employees"
"Mostly businesses with hundreds of employees" "Mostly industrial or manufacturing businesses"
"Mostly retail or service businesses" "A mixture of different types of businesses"
Describe the economic profile of the Neighborhood Council. Examples:
"Affluent", "Middle income", "Mostly unemployed", "A mix of upper, middle and lower income people".
Describe the types of employment that are available within the Neighborhood Council. Examples:
Retail / Wholesale / Manufacturing / Entertainment / Art / Government / Health Services /Banks /
Finance Companies / Insurance / Construction / Public Utilities / Communication / Computers
The use of the examples given above is optional. Some answers may not be
known by the applicant. In addition,
As required by City Ordinance and the Plan, the applicant must provide a
detailed description of the outreach
To assist the applicant with developing responses to Questions 1 through 4,
below, a "Stakeholder Composition
1. Describe in detail the outreach process used to identify community
stakeholders. Attach additional pages as
2. Describe or list the types of outreach activities used to inform
stakeholders about the existence or formation of
3. Approximately how much time was spent on actual outreach activities
prior to submitting this application? Examples
4. Were public meetings held on behalf of the Neighborhood Council? On
average, how many people attended each
5. Attach to this application the original signatures of no less than 200
community stakeholders within the proposed
Signatures shall, to the maximum extent feasible, reflect the broadest array
of community stakeholders who will be
6. Outreach activities are a very important part of all Neighborhood Council
operations. Outreach activities should
SECTION 3. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
By-laws shall be established to provide a written framework and an
organizational structure for the Neighborhood
1. Attach to this application a copy of the by-laws of the Neighborhood Council.
There is no single set, style or size
2. Attachment A, "Public Notice Location Log", must be completed and returned with this application.
A system of financial accountability shall be established that governs a
Certified Neighborhood Councilís use of its
Refer to the "Certification Application Guidelines and Instructions" for additional details and required information.
1. Describe the plan, method or system to be used for Neighborhood Council
accounting purposes. Attach additional
2. Each Certified Neighborhood Councilís Governing Body shall include an
office named the Treasurer. Attachment B,
3. Each Certified Neighborhood Council shall discuss its finances at a regularly
scheduled or special meeting prior to
4. Each Certified Neighborhood Council shall ensure that each Certified
Neighborhood Councilís book of accounts shall
5. Each Certified Neighborhood Council shall establish a process by which each
Certified Neighborhood Council
CONTACT LIAISON ROSTER
1. Attachment C, "Contact Liaison Roster" which is included with this application, must be completed, signed by each person whose name appears on the list, and returned with the application.
COMPLETED APPLICATION CHECKLIST
Before submitting the Certification application materials, please ensure that all of the following items have been completed and included with the application materials:
1. Certification Application (including all additional pages used to answer the questions) __________
2. Map of the Neighborhood Council __________
3. Signature Sheets __________
4. Public Notice Location Log (Attachment A) __________
5. Neighborhood Council By-Laws __________
6. Accounting System Description and Samples __________
7. Contact Liaison Roster (Attachment C) __________
8. Stakeholder Composition and Outreach Worksheet (optional) __________
PLEASE RETURN THE COMPLETED CERTIFICATION APPLICATION MATERIALS, INCLUDING THIS PAGE, TO:
Michael Vitkievicz, Certification Manager
City of Los Angeles, Department of Neighborhood Empowerment
305 East First Street, Los Angeles, California 90012
CERT APP REV 092601
(SPACE BELOW THIS LINE FOR DEPARTMENT OF NEIGHBORHOOD EMPOWERMENT USE)
|This web site has been developed by virtualtour3D.com, a subsidiary of Urban Concepts. All content is the copyrighted property of virtualtour3D.com. Reproduction or other use of this material without permission is prohibitted. For additional information, contact the webmaster.|