Adopted, July 2003
BYLAWS AND AMENDMENTS
OF THE LOS ANGELES
CITYWIDE ALLIANCE OF NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCILS
Article I Name
Article II Mission
Article III Area
Article IV Membership
Article V Board
Article VI Steering
Article VII Officers
Article VIII Meetings
Article IX Committees
Article X Amendments
The name of this Organization is Citywide Alliance for Neighborhood
Councils, also to be known as ALLNCS.
ALLNCS is dedicated to providing for Neighborhood Councils in the City of
1. A forum for communication between governmental officials and
2. A forum to foster and facilitate information exchange, multilateral
communication, and networking opportunities among Neighborhood Councils.
1. The area of concern for ALLNCS is the City of Los Angeles.
2. The area of concern shall be divided into areas coterminous with the
planning areas of the City of Los Angeles: North Valley, South Valley, West
L.A., Central, East L.A., South L.A., Harbor. These areas may be subdivided
by the Steering Committee for organizational purposes.
1. Membership shall come from the certified neighborhood councils of the
City of Los Angeles.
2. Each certified neighborhood council shall designate one delegate and
one alternate delegate. Each designated delegate, or in such delegate’s
absence, said alternate delegate, shall be entitled to one vote.
3. Each organizing neighborhood council may designate one delegate and
one alternate delegate as ex-officio members.
Board of Delegates
1. The Board of Delegates shall be comprised of one official
representative from each certified neighborhood council, a Delegate. When a
Delegate is absent, the designated Alternate shall be entitled to cast the
2. Each Delegate shall serve for one year or until their successor has
3. The duties of the Board are as follows:
A. To represent the neighborhood councils at all forums.
B. To see that the duties set forth in ARTICLE VII for the Officers
are carried out.
4. The powers of the Board shall be subject to the following limitations:
A. The Board may not enter into any contract.
B. The Board may not incur any indebtedness.
C. The Board may not engage in partisan politics.
The Steering Committee shall manage the business and affairs of ALLNCS.
The Steering Committee shall consist of Area Representatives, two per
Planning Area, to be elected at an annual election meeting by a majority vote of
the Delegates present representing certified neighborhood councils within each
Proxy and/or absentee voting is not permitted.
1. The officers of this ALLNCS shall be: Chair, Vice Chair, and
Secretary, which shall be elected by and from the Steering Committee.
A. The Chair shall be the Chief Administrator of the Organization,
charged with the duty of supervising all of its functions, subject to
the orders of the Board of Delegates. The Chair shall be an ex-officio
member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
B. The Vice Chair will officiate at the meetings in the absence of
the Chair and will accomplish other duties as assigned by the Chair.
C. The Secretary shall issue notices of and the keep the minutes of
all meetings of ALLNCS, be custodian of the records, keep the
roll of all members and discharge such other duties as may be assigned
by the Board of Delegates or the Chair.
D. Should any vacancy occur, it shall be filled without undue delay
by the Board of Delegates.
2. The Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary shall be elected, by the Steering
Committee, by majority vote of the Area Representatives present.
3. An officer may be removed only by three fourths (3/4) vote of the
total number of voting Delegates present.
1. An annual meeting for the election of Officers of ALLNCS shall
be at the last regular meeting of each year.
2. Regular meetings shall be bi-monthly.
3. Special meetings may be called by the Chair of the Steering Committee
whenever it is deemed necessary or whenever called for by a majority of the
full Board of Delegates.
4. Notices of all meetings shall be transmitted to each member
electronically or in writing.
5. All notices of any special meetings shall state the purpose of the
6. A quorum at all meetings shall consist of at least fifty percent plus
one of the total number of Delegates.
7. Robert's Rules of Order, Revised, shall be the authority for
the conduct of the annual meeting.
1. The affairs and business of ALLNCS shall be managed and
directed by the Steering Committee. In addition to the Area Representative
members, the Committee may select up to three (3) additional ex-officio
members to provide expert assistance.
2. Additional Standing Committees shall consist of a Bylaws Committee and
an Elections Committee. The Board shall appoint the Committee Chairs.
A. The Elections Committee shall supervise the
election of Area Representatives at the annual meeting.
B. The Bylaws Committee shall maintain the Bylaws of ALLNCS,
and shall propose amendments from time to time as necessary.
3. Ad Hoc committees shall be designated and appointed by the Chair as
may be required.
1. The Bylaws may be amended or revised by the two-thirds (2/3) vote of
the Steering Committee present at any regular or special meeting, provided
that the notice of such amendments have been given at the previous Steering
These Bylaws, having been duly adopted at a meeting of the membership of ALLNCS,
this 19th Day of July, 2003 we the undersigned, being the elected Delegates of ALLNCS,
do hereby acknowledge and validate these Bylaws by affixing our respective
Adopted 19Jul03 .